Tensions between Iran and Israel are escalating and have every chance of breaking out into war.
For some time Israel has been expressing alarm at Iran’s growing (and permanent) military presence in Syria. Iran is busy establishing numerous military bases and also wants to build a naval base in northern Syria. Its goal is to create a Shi’ite arc that stretches from Tehran to Beirut. Israel and also Sunni nations (led by Saudi Arabia) and in trepidation of Iran’s expanding influence. It should be remembered that Israel’s cause for concern is even greater than the Arab states. Since 1980 one Iranian Shi’ite cleric after another has been threatening to destroy Israel and annihilate its Jewish population.
Over the weekend Israel bombed an Iranian army base south of Damascus, killing 12 soldiers. Iran has made no comment, but they are expected to respond by launching a terrorist attack against Israel or a Jewish target abroad. In addition, the Iranians are continuing to arm Hezbollah with large numbers of sophisticated rockets able to reach almost every Israeli city. Should war break out in Syria, it would no doubt spread to Lebanon. Hezbollah has an arsenal of over 100,000 rockets – more than any other nation except the US and Russia. Of course, the situation is further complicated by the role of Russia that now has substantial interests in Syria and is allied with Iran.
The Israeli ambassador to the US just announced that war might break out in a matter of weeks. Such a statement may have been made to pressure the US to engage with Russia in the removal of Iranian troops from Syria, but the situation is indeed critical.
How to Pray:
- Pray for peace in Syria and that the situation does not bring further instability to the region (with Iranian presence there).
- Pray that Iran will move its forces out of Syria.
- Pray that millions of Syrian refugees will be able to return to their homes soon.
- Pray that more and more Iranians will come to know Jesus as Messiah.
- Pray for wisdom for the US President as he makes a decision about moving the US Embassy.
- Pray for the security of Israel and the peace of Jerusalem.