“The quake did not kill us but the cold weather will kill us.”
Sunday’s 7.3 magnitude earthquake in Iraq & Iran has killed at least 530 people, injured thousands of others, and left tens of thousands of homes destroyed. One of the victims, a woman in her 30s said, “It is cold. My children are freezing. We have water and food but no tent. The quake did not kill us but the cold weather will kill us.” Read more about the earthquake and its devastating effects in this article written by Reuters.
As the region prepares for the winter season, many are uncertain about how they will survive the increasingly cold days. Situations like this can lead many to feel hopeless as this world continues to be shaken by natural disasters, disease, disappointment, persecution, and death. The suffering that the people of Iraq & Iran are facing is scary, uncertain, and painful. As believers, we are confident and know that there is hope in Jesus! 1 Peter 3:3 says, “…he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead…” Join us in praying for the believers and unbelievers to look to the living hope, Jesus.
How to Pray:
– Pray that those who don’t know Christ will turn their hearts to God. Many are full of sorrow after this earthquake, mourning the loss of loved ones, homes, and properties. Pray that their sorrow for things lost in this world would turn to godly sorrow and lead people to repentance. “For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.” – 2nd Corinthians 7:10
– Pray for those affected from Psalm 68:4-10. Pray for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit & for His demonstrations of power.
- v. 4 | That praise would continue to arise in the midst of earthquakes, catastrophic events, and shakings.
- v. 5 | That children who became orphans and that wives who became widows from this earthquake will find God the Father and Protector.
- v. 6 | That those who have lost homes will find homes to dwell in.
- v. 7 | That as the earth trembles, the heavens would be opened and pour down the presence of God. As the earth is being shaken, intercession is increasing and we are expecting an outpouring of the Holy Spirit more than ever before!
– Pray for the believers in the affected areas would become increasingly a people of “One Thing.” That with their gaze on Jesus they will not be shaken or moved in any way.
– Pray that the believers would not be distracted in any way, but expectant of an outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Pray that they would increase in boldness in their witness of Jesus Christ. Pray that they would go forth and do great exploits, releasing healing to the brokenhearted, praying for the healing of the injured, and comforting those who mourn.